Tuesday, May 18, 2010

King Henry the 8th's letter to Anne Boleyn.

My mistress and friend,

I and my heart put ourselves in your hands, begging you to have them suitors for your good favour , and that affection for them should not grow less through absence. For it would be a great pity to increase their sorrow since absence does it sufficiently, and more than ever i could have thought it possible reminding us of a point in astronomy , which is , that the longer the days are the farther off is the sun , and yet more fierce.
So it is with our love , for by absence we are parted , yet nevertheless it keeps its fervor , at least on my side , and i hope on yours also: assuring you that on my side the ennui of absence is already too much for me : and when i think of the increase of what i must need suffer would be well nigh unbearable for me were it not for the firm hope i have and as cannot be with you in person .
I am sending you the nearest possible thing to that , namely , my picture set in a bracelet.

Wishing myself in their place when it finally shall please you.
This by the hand of
Your loyal servant and friend.
H.Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment